Monday, April 6, 2020

Is Your Account Really Private?


We now live in an age of social media and digital platforms. Younger generations are more immersed in this culture since they embrace the new technology while older generations tend to stand back. Since we are young, we might not grasp the full scope of what we post to the Internet. Your social media accounts may be "private", but that doesn't stop apps from collecting your personal data or your followers sharing your posts. Once something is out there, you can never get it back which is why it is so important to be mindful of what you post. 

I have grown up in this crazy social media age. I remember when Instagram and Snapchat were launched because I was in middle school and it was all anyone could ever talk about. Now I have other social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, VSCO, and TikTok. Normally people have private accounts and no information in their bio, but I see it differently. I am always careful of what I post, making sure that there is no personal details, which is why I have my social media accounts public and some information in my bio. Social media apps allow the option to block people which makes me feel safer about knowing who is following me. On an app like Snapchat, if someone adds me but I don't know them, I immediately delete and block them. The same goes for my other social media accounts. I don't mind having my accounts public because it lets people in my life see what I am doing. My family members, friends, people who simply want to see my life are able to because I know what I am posting and feel comfortable having others see it. 

Ofcourse there is certain information that I would never post on social media. My email address, phone number, and house address are all things that should be kept private to ensure my own safety. You can not access this information through my social media pages even if I am public. In addition, as a young female there are certain posts that I refrain from to protect myself. I don't post anything inappropriate or anything I wouldn't want a future employer or family member to see. I think those are 2 things that can help you answer if you should post something or not. An article I came across says that it can take confidence to share your life with the world. This stood out to me because I relate to it in the sense that I am confident enough to have my accounts public because I don't feel like I have anything to hide. While there are many reasons to keep your accounts private, I am able to keep mine public without sharing personal information. 


Our world of social media platforms and technology is constantly evolving and definitely not going away soon. It is important to know how to keep your information and accounts safe by being careful about what you post. Knowing that once you post something it is out there forever and anyone can see it might help people understand how social media works more. Privacy is an important thing to have and social media might not always work hand-in-hand with it.


Sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment

The World We Live In I bet if you ask your parents, "Did you think we would have all this technology when you were younger?&qu...